Wednesday, January 4, 2012

On the Bias



Do you ever find yourself trying to solve a problem, when you already have an idea of how you WANT the resolution or answer to be? This would be an example of confirmation bias. Think of bias as a kind of rationalization, prejudice, blinder, or pre-conceived notion. The one's we are aware of are easy enough to deal with; its the ones we are NOT aware of that can be tricky.

I am guilty of it all the time in my work life: I see an issue, and instead of fully investigating the underlying premise I'm already solving the problem the way I think it should be. I look for the things that support my position and emphasize those, discount any strong argument against my bias, and point out only the flaws of weak arguments against my understanding and perceptions.

There are all kinds of bias: hindsight bias outcome bias, false consensus, belief bias, Halo effect, and confirmation bias, and this is just a few.

I am trying to be careful about this confirmation bias. When I am aware of it, this is my way of seeing it better. First ask the question: Am I considering the alternatives correctly? Next question: Have I got all the information I need to make a decision? Last: I try the opposite position on for size and see what happens. Sometimes, it actually fits with a few adjustments. Sometimes, it doesn't fit at all. If nothing else, it illuminates my own faulty, or correct mental processes.

The Universe is the way it is, whether we like it or not. (Lawrence M. Krauss)

No comments: