Sunday, January 1, 2012

Adrift


How much of your life do you feel responsible for? Do you have moments that you feel your life changed because your course was re-directed by someone? Maybe it was a traumatic event. Maybe it was someone else's decision that affected you. Maybe someone's health changed and you were 'required' to act in support.

Free will. More and more every day, I find reasons to think that we are not as in control as we consciously think we are.

Random events, reacted to by our subconscious bias, not just the long term bias that come from how we were raised, but even more so the short term bias.

Example: When the Packers lose, the Green Bay Police see a rise in spousal abuse. Explain to me how the outcome of a sporting event causes these reactions, and has affects on people and families.

How in control are we really?

This is what I am thinking about today.

2 comments:

Erick Howenstine said...

Hey, FQ, I like your thoughts. One among them was the comment about hunger and satiety. I've taken up the perspective that hunger is my friend and I've lost about 15% of me with that idea (and with myfitnesspal.com). BTW this is everythingequalseverything, thanks for visiting my site too. :) Happy winter, and in Chicago we finally got some. Taking comments now, I see!

martykc said...

Hey EH! Thanks for stopping by FQ. You were too kind with your comments. I'm mostly a hack. Which is why I always question, not answer. The depth of things I don't know, and especially the ones I don't know I don't know. ...... Wow, its been a while since I've been to E=E, and that some good stuff on Morality. Shame on you. I have enough to read. Better get to it!