Friday, January 20, 2012

Elemental K





So I am a week away from seeing the doctor about my heart issue, which really seems to be more related to an electrical issue than a 'functional' or 'mechanical' issue. Which is good, in many ways.

Well, now I have some new symptoms that really point to a systemic problem, rather than something directly related to my heart.

Worms. No, not really worms, but restless legs when I sleep at night, along with spasms in my calves ALL THE TIME. When I look at my calves, I see twitching going on, like there are live crawlies under the skin. Its weird to look at, and really more annoying than anything else.

So, looks like an electrolyte imbalance to me. My potassium levels were low-normal during the blood tests, and mind you that was done after a fast, and essentially no exercise.

So, the at the very least the Potassium levels are likely dropping below normal during an ultra event. That's my guess right now anyway.

When I see the doc, I'll try and get a better feel for any other electrolytes that might cause this. Like magnesium, or calcium.

I am taking some supplements, but either they are not absorbing correctly, or I haven't found the right one yet.

More as I find out.

No comments: