Thursday, January 5, 2012

Less Wrong


I got into Sudoku for a while. Its sort of a game of math, and is solved not by 'assertions' but by 'elimination' of all logically incorrect answers.

In other words, eliminate all possibilities until only one remains: If a row contains a 5, no empty cell in that row or quad can contain a 5. Therefore, any empty cell must be another number; by eliminating ALL incorrect numbers you arrive at the most correct one. Interestingly, this thinking relies heavily on being wrong (can't be, can't be, can't be), and then rejecting the wrong answers to arrive at the correct answer.

In a sense, this is like making 8 mistakes to find the one answer.

I'm wrong a LOT. Ho boy. I find myself SHOUTING from the top of mount stoopid all the time. Just today I discovered about 10 ways NOT to do something, and I still haven't found the right one. I bounce off the rails, But I keep plugging away anyway.

Are you afraid to fail? Are you afraid to admit you are wrong?

No comments: