Thursday, February 2, 2012

Winter Slumber




Winter
, slumbering in the open air, Wears on his smiling face, a dream of Spring!*

Appropriately, I slept outside on Groundhog day, on my balcony. I was testing whether my 50 degree sleeping bag, in combination with a heavy liner would be warm enough. The liner supposedly adds "up to 25 degrees". So, in theory, I should be good to 25 (50 - 25 =25). I even added an outer shell layer in the form of a bivy sack, which should have added even more. It was a fairly aggressive set up for this time of year.

It got down to about 29 degrees. CLOSE.

And, I did go to sleep. For about 2 hours. I woke up and I knew it was going to be a long night with that set up. I gave it up. I think it has a good chance on working in Arizona, when the night time shouldn't get to below 35 or 40 degrees.

I might need that furry guy's coat to sleep outside in Wisconsin weather.




*(from the movie, Groundhog day)

No comments: