Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Measure



Its often said, "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line". There's an implication there that its always the preferred path.

What if the measurement of distance isn't feet or miles, but of the path of least resistance? Or the fastest time? Those paths, when you can't go over the mountain, but have to go around?

Or what about one that's more interesting? Then the best measure of the path is the crooked serpentine line of a river, the switch back path of a mountain trail; the intangible measure of the pure experience.

Straight lines are good for getting from A to B, but not if the journey is also part of the picture.

I am coming to realize that when things go the way I expect, there's a momentary satisfaction that the world is conforming to my desires, but the feeling is fleeting and I am left teetering on the 'what's next?' ledge of expectation.

And really, did you ever notice that life rarely happens in straight lines? At least those parts of life that make the best stories. Detours are involved. Unexpected turns.

My best analogy here is this: Straight rivers die. Not much life can be made or is found in a mill run. Life congregates in the turns, shallows, behind the unexpected logs and rocks. It thrives in the vegetation, which can't survive in a river that is only meant to carry water from here to there. A to B straight line.

I am headed to Arizona in about 7 hours. I am of course suit case over packed for every situation, but that will change when I have to pack down to a 40 liter backpack (Think large duffle bag) with everything I need for 6 days. I am going to have make some straight line choices that will probably lead me to crooked line life experiences.

But at least I'll have some stories to tell.

1 comment:

Double said...

Get back and start posting! Have fun.

D2