Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blue Digs


So I am finally back in good old Wisconsin. Ah yes.

(Yesterday's post was from the hotel lobby pc, and I apologize for the crazy formatting: I fixed it).

So, when I said I was living under a tarp, I wasn't kidding. Last minute, I went old school. I ditched the 300 dollar tent and went to Home Depot and bought a four dollar tarp. See pic below.

It worked fine, although I didn't have to face any rain in the Arizona desert, so I don't want to get too cocky about it. I used a cactus 'bone' to hold it up, as I didn't have a trekking pole.

It did give me 'shelter' from the sun, and gave me a place to keep my gear. Plus, it had the advantage of being able to see it from 500 yards away. The color was a direct contrast to the surrounding desert browns and greens.

It was a bit heavy, but there are silo-nylon versions that I will be investing in. Not much in the way of cost, something like 60 bucks gets the weight down to 22 ounces.

It was a good experience. I used the tarp to sleep in all but two nights, when I slept outside in the open.



No comments: