Monday, September 5, 2011

Superior Tough



So later this week I am headed up to Northern MN for a go at the Superior 50 mile race.

I am a little nervous, probably more so than the first two 50 milers I ran in July (Dances with Dirt) and August (Marquette Trail 50).

The distance doesn't scare me at all. The fact is, I want to do this one really well. Maybe its not the best course to give that a go, but I can probably adjust the hours to put it into perspective. I am guessing, but I would think a 2 hour INCREASE when compared to say, Ice Age, is likely. So, a 12 hour race at SHT would equate to a 10 hour race at IAT. My real goal this year was to break 10 hours, so a 12 hour race at SHT would satisfy that. Ultras are tough, every course is different. Honestly, I'll be happy with 13 hours.

Its going to be tough, and maybe I am over planning a bit. I think sometimes we get caught up in the drop bags, race strategies, blah blah blah. (I'm already packed. Including drop bags and camping gear for the week after the race).

I am going to STOP over-thinking.

I am going to take my own advice, which is as follows:

1) Stop arguing for your limitations. You don't run by thinking. You run by NOT thinking.
2) You won't die if you start out too fast (because I NEVER start too fast)
3) The miles behind you are done. There is only one perfect path: the one that lies before you.
Finally,

4) Just shut up and run.

No comments: