Sunday, September 18, 2011

Clang. Boom. Steam.

Clang. Boom. Steam. Three Running Stories




I have not made a habit of posting about running. Its not that I don't like to post about it, its just not all that interesting to me, its starts to sound kinda the same..... after a while. But, I'll make an exception for this week. I ran and hiked a total of 95 miles. My biggest total ever. By a long shot.

Chug chug chugging along. Riding the rail, life gets louder with the clang boom and steam of a rolling train.

CLANG: Superior, the rest of the story.

53 miles in the Superior Trail race. OK, the race was 52, but I got some bonus miles in due to getting lost. Wow, what an adventure I had. The race didn't turn out at all as I had 'planned', but I had an amazing time anyway. One of the best part was Jodie T. Jodie and I ran probably half of this race together, and I reported on it in my blog post over at the Lapham group site. I left a LOT of stuff out of that race report.

In short, let me say while I didn't do all that well in the race, and I hopefully helped out Jodie, I had my own motives to do what I did: I abandoned my race plan and stayed with a fellow runner to see her to the finish. So there was some compassionate, empathetic behavior going on from my part; I really wanted to see her finish that race.

I had two roads: one, in which I ran a sub-par race with a luke warm time. and Jodie does or doesn't finish. How would I feel about that had she quit? I would have second guessed any decision to leave her behind. The second, solution to my mind was to stay with her and give it a shot, and that's what I did. Did it make a difference? I certainly hope so, but I'll never know. The luke warm race result was easy to give up, and I have not had any misgivings for doing it.

Things are other things I learned on that run.

- Prepare and Execute. Don't let desire and expectations change your plan. THINK execution, not results.

- always have fun. This is play time, don't make a job of it by creating unrealistic expectations.

- Be prepared to fail, and not have it ruin your day. Be joyful in the efforts. Adjust your plan. Go with it.

- Every race is different! No two courses are the same, the conditions, everything. Every race is a gift, and an adventure.

- Stop trying to meet some time goal. Really, when I do that, I am running someone else's race. I don't frikin' care about TIME. I care about the effort. I will choose to run with who I want, and I will likely run with someone who is slower unless I choose to run alone. This, for me, is like family time. Learn something from whoever you run with. This is the gift. The time elapsed you will soon forget; the time well spent with someone you will not. Case in point: one of the best runs of the year, Pacing Angela. Time for me was never a factor. From today on, I refuse to predict any finish time. It has zero payback, its a no win. I'll take the time spent with my fellow runners any day.

- From today on, I refuse to wear a watch. Its not about getting there quicker, its about being here. Running fast and efficient doesn't get easier because you are watching a watch or GPS (that's the measure). I want to run with grace, the time takes care of itself as a result of running well; as a result of good execution.

BOOM:More Superior, being out there for the fun of it.

Robyn and I hiked for three more days on the Superior trail, getting in about 20 miles. OK, its not running, but it was moving, and that trail dictated a slower pace anyway. We hiked The Split Rock river trail, the area around Tettagouche State Park, and the area that leads up to Bean and Bear Lakes. We had great weather, and a great time doing it. We camped under the most brilliant moon, all three nights. It was so bright, that when the moon was low on the horizon coming off the lake, I had to actually shield my eyes while walking down a path.

STEAM: Running with Nebraska Bobbi.

I was set up to sweep 22 miles of the North face 50 mile course this past weekend. Brad B and I had started at Emma Carlin on the Ice Age trail. If you are not familiar with sweeping; the role is to get behind the last runner, and pick up all the course markings and arrows, as well as make sure the course is 'clear' of anyone out there still running.

I found a drivers license laying on the trail about a 1/2 mile into the job. It belonged to a woman from Nebraska. I put it into Brads pack for return later after our duties were complete.

After making contact with the slowest runner, we plodded along, picking up trash, removing flags. It was a glorious day, temps in the 60's, sunny. We came into the area at McMiller, which is a CC ski park, and suddenly the last place runner changed places with another runner, so we stuck with her for a while. Brad started to chat with her, and asked her where she was from.

Nebraska.

Huh. Uh, lady, I think I found your drivers license.

Her name is Bobbi, and she was there with her husband, Ron. He's a nice guy; and we actually caught him at mile 40 after pacing Bobbi for about 8 miles. The two of them had 9.5 miles to go, and were now going to run it in together.

But there was a problem. They had made the last cut off, but the pace had slowed because Bobbi had hurt her foot. I radioed in about our situation, and the RD said they could keep going but it would be an unoffical finish if they came in after 6 pm. It was now 3:30 pm. So Brad and I decided to stay with them and finish.

It took three and a half hours.

Patience, and perseverance. You can't give it lip service, you have to live and breathe it to your core. I talked to Bobbi for several hours, to take her mind off the pain in her foot. She finished. With tears streaming down her face. She was grateful, beyond words. It was a cool sight, to see her tough it out. It was one of the gutsiest running performances I have ever seen. Reaching the finish line, there were no runners left, no one to cheer for Bobbi's efforts.

None.

But, the North Face people were very cool. They hung out an extra hour, created a big scene at the end, music, tunnel of people with raised hands, and they saved them some food. Bobbi shivered in the cold, and we got her covered up and tried to get her to eat. They gave her a medal, I gave her a clothes pin with the flagging tape from the course. Her husband drove the van over, we got her in. they drove away, and Bobbi was smiling. Bobbi, Thank you for the inspiration, thank you for the lessons on perseverance. You are one tough cookie.


Station to Station.

Whistle. Whoosh. Stop. 95 Miles. All out.

No comments: