Saturday, February 23, 2013

Influence




It's rare when a book or a web site inspires me to make lasting, significant changes in my life. In fact, I can't think of any examples. Oh sure, I have my favorite authors, musicians and sites. But to think of a significant course change. I can't. IDEAS. I can get ideas from these places, but to put them into practice, it takes more.

Popular media? Not at all. I ditched the TV, I don't read magazines. Even reading on line, I think we all tend to find those sites that merely reflect our already made up minds.

Community, people, teachers, mentors, training, practice. These things influence me, every day. Set a direction, offer advice. Change my course.

I am a reader, but even more so, I am a doer. Everyone learns differently, but I think I learn best by listening, and watching, then doing, and reflecting, or paraphrasing. But I need someone to show me, teach me, talk to me, advise me (Instruction manuals usually consulted only after failure).

Teacher: show me how to pick up my sword, get behind my plow, work my shovel. I think better when I am moving. Wax on, Wax off (Except math. Can't do math in my head while I am running. I've tried.).

So Question of the day: Who or what influences you?

1 comment:

stillwaterrunner said...

Hey Marty. I'll be running the first 10 or so miles of the Kettle 100 course on the morning of 3/30 as a 20 mi out-n-back. Interested in joining me?