Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Turn it Off




Polite culture dictates that I should not expect you endure my cigarette smoke, listen to music blaring from my house, or listen to me blathering on a cell phone.

So why is it OK for every bar, hotel and restaurant to have one or more TV's blaring all the time?

I recently stayed in a very nice hotel in Prairie Du Chen. Awesome hotel. Perfect service in every way but one. In the morning, while i was trying to enjoy the great breakfast they had out, the TV was blasting the CNN.

I even tried to turn it off, since I asked the other two people in the room whether they were watching it or not. They both were fine with turning it off.

The clerk behind the desk, however, insisted that it remain on. Even though she couldn't watch it from her station.

WHY?

Why is it OK to make me endure the TV, and not say, a rap or country radio station? To me, it's still noise that I don't care for. Next time you have the chance, see if you can get someone to turn it off.

I have a dentist appointment Friday. Even they have TV's now. GAH!! I will insist they turn it off. I abandoned my TV three years ago, and I haven't missed it one bit.

1 comment:

stillwaterrunner said...

Yeah, I'm with you. My family abandoned our TV 12 years ago. We abandonded TV reception actually; we can still watch DVD's. I still miss football though.

After we did that, we started to notice: enter anyone's living room and it is dominated by a BigA TV. Trying to interact with others while the TV is on is past agrivating.

My favorite Calvin & Hobbes cartoon involves the TV. Google image "Calvin" and "opiate".