Saturday, August 27, 2011

The World is Black





The world is black and white.

You either believe god created the world, or you believe in evolution, right?

Some folks (religious and not) are fond of arguing against evolution. But even if they could 'prove it' false, it gives no further evidence to the claim that god created the world. This is faulty logic: that proving one thing is false automatically proves the other is true: if NOT A, THEN B.

This is a false dichotomy. A dividing of an idea into two opposing sides and assuming they are incompatible.

We do this a lot, humans. We take a complex idea and boil it down to choice of either 'this' Or 'that'.

I am all for exploring the existence of a higher power; as humans, we cant help it. I am all for exploring the theory of evolution; to me the theory makes sense, but its not without its problems. I do insist that we keep the two separate topics, with their own merits.

Next topic, but I plan on coming back to this and discussing further.... Look for an update.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here's a question for you. I read a billboard the other day, advertising nothing. No logos, no tag lines, no phone numbers, no offers. Nothing. Here it is.

THINK! Its not illegal....... YET.

So, black and white world, is this poster of billboard a Conservative, or a Liberal?

I could argue that the author is a conservative, and is trying to convey the message that Government is too far reaching, and limiting our civil rights, creating too many laws, etc.

I could that the author is a liberal, and warning of BIG BROTHER mentality, of an over-reaching current of restrictive compliance, of 'tea party' yes-man ideals.

But then, I would be busy labeling, and placing my own judgment based on my beliefs and ideals about the world in general.

And I don't like to do that..............

No comments: